Thursday 22 September 2011

Haterz an Fanbois FTW. LOL!!!!!!1 B-)

You can tell if a person is racist, they generally start their sentences with ‘I’m not a racist, but…’ before saying something racist.  It was this thought that stopped me from starting this post with ‘I’m not a GW hater, but…’.

I would like to make it clear that I’m not a GW hater (or a racist for that matter); I love loads of their games including the 8th edition of Warhammer Fantasy, I’ve been buying GW products for years, I paint their miniatures using their paints and I play their games in my spare time.  I’ve joined a club where I can play GW games with other GW fans, I’ve even spent three years of my life writing a blog mostly dedicated to playing GW games.  To me GW is one of the best games companies out there and I even divert my journeys up and down the country to pop into Warhammer World on occasion.  I am not a GW hater. 

This brings me neatly onto Dreadfleet, and why I’m not going to buy it.

 
In case you weren’t aware, Dreadfleet is the new GW boxed, standalone, limited edition game, recently made available for preorder.  There has been a lot of love and hate on the internet about this, but one thing that is clear is that people are buying it.  I’m not going to, for a number of reasons, but the main one is:

I haven’t seen any reviews of it

Sure, there are videos out there, lots of pics of the components, even promises of gameplay descriptions.  But no independent reviews.  To me this means that I am being asked to part with my money for a game that could turn out to be rubbish.  I’m pretty sure it wont be rubbish, but why should I buy it when I could spend the same amount of money on a boardgame that has got rave reviews?  If I had £70 to spare (which I don’t) and I had lots of gaming time going free (I don’t) then I’d look at some of the following instead (all available for £70 or less each; all text and photos from BoardGameGeek):


Mansions of Madness: Horrific monsters and spectral presences lurk in manors, crypts, schools, monasteries, and derelict buildings near Arkham, Massachusetts. Some spin dark conspiracies while others wait for hapless victims to devour or drive insane. It’s up to a handful of brave investigators to explore these cursed places and uncover the truth about the living nightmares within.

 
Horus Heresy: In the Horus Heresy board game, the most legendary battle in the history of the Warhammer 40,000 universe unfolds across the razed plains of Terra and in the frozen orbit above. Deadly fighting ranges from the Emperor’s golden Inner Palace to Horus’s flagship, the Vengeful Spirit.  Taking the side of traitor or loyalist, two players control either fearless Space Marine legions or deviant Chaos Space Marines, mighty Titans, Imperial Armies both loyal and traitorous, and a fearsome array of other units, including the Emperor and Horus themselves.


Tide of Iron: (see my review here) Tide of Iron is a game of World War II tactical conflict for two to four players. The components in this base game allow players to simulate the dramatic struggle that took place between American and German forces in Northern Europe during the years 1944 and 1945.


Descent: Journeys in the Dark: Descent: Journeys in the Dark is a semi-cooperative game in which two to five players will take on the antagonistic roles of heroes and Overlord. Up to four players will choose characters with a wide assortment of skills and innate abilities to be the heroes who will explore dungeons in search of treasure and adventure. One player will take on the role of the Overlord and will control the dungeon's many traps, puzzles, and monsters.

Of course when Dreadfleet gets released, it may get the greatest reviews ever, turn out to be one of the best boardgames of all time and I’ll have missed my chance because it sold out.  But I’m not prepared to bet £70 on that happening.

Happy Gaming

4 comments:

WQRobb said...

I'll let you know after I play it, since a friend got it and wants to give it a spin.

But in regards to the news blackout, the owner of the FLGS in my neighborhood said he wasn't told about the game by GW until the day they started taking pre-orders for customers on their website, meaning they got a good headstart over him.

grumhelden said...

There was a song called Travis by Carter USM, that I had forgotten until I read your post. Just a wee fact of the day for you there. There is a rambling, incoherent playthrough of a turn up on the website now, but if im honest it left me more confused than before :S

Dave said...

Carter USM? Fantastic! Well done Sir.

Tristan M said...

Ah but would you be willing to bet your £70 that if you could avoid the temptation of opening it that if it didn't get rave reviews you could likely make a pretty profit off selling it on ebay later? ;-)